Saturday, April 18, 2009

Books, Books, Books

As a teacher who has a background with reading, I’m sure that you can imagine that I enjoy reading books. I love stories of all shapes and sizes, but I also really enjoy nonfiction. I thought I’d just share some of the books that I’ve read this school year. I’d love to hear about what you are reading.

In the Classroom:

I’ve read a multitude of picture books. One of my favorites is "My Little Sister Ate One Hare" by Bill Grossman. This is a highly amusing tale which ends with a very yucky conclusion.

I enjoy reading E.B. White Books: "Charlotte’s Web", "The Trumpet of the Swan", and "Stuart Little." All three stories are utterly delightful.

"Ramona the Pest" by Beverly Cleary. I have several students who are struggling behaviorally this year. I have found that seeing the bad choices that Ramona made, helped them to begin to looking at themselves.

"The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" by Barbara Robinson. Each of my seven years of teaching thus far, I have read this book during Christmas time. We have traditionally read it as a family for several years. If you haven’t read it, I highly recommend this story! This year I cried during the story because I have so many boys and girls that live the Herdman lifestyle.

"The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis. This is one of my favorite books of all time and my first grade students absolutely loved it this year. Our superintendent came to my class the other day and they got the chance to tell him all about it!

"My Father’s Dragon" by Ruth Stiles Gannett. This is the first time that I have read this book. It is truly a delightful tale and a wonderful book to use when teaching children about predictions.

"The Mouse and The Motorcycle" by Beverly Cleary. We are currently reading this book in class. My boys are especially into this tale!

Educational Reading:

"12 Powerful Words" by Larry I. Bell

"Results Now" by Mike Schmoker

"Reading Essentials: The Specifics You Need to Teach Reading Well" by Regie Routman

Personal Reading:

"The Shack" by William P. Young. This was a thought provoking book.

"Each New Day" by Corrie Ten Boom. There are some wonderful short nuggets of truth in this little book.

"The Firstborn Advantage: Making Your Birth Order Work for You" by Dr. Kevin Leman. This is a very interesting book.

"Completely His: Loving Jesus without Limits" by Shannon Ethridge.

"Answering the Guy Questions: The Set-Apart Girls Guide to Relating to the Opposite Sex" by Leslie Ludy. Eric and Leslie Ludy have written a variety of books. I have quite the collection of single girl books. I just got this one recently and my roomie is reading it now.

"A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael" by Elizabeth Elliot. This is what I’m reading currently.

There are other books that I read bits and pieces of, but here it this school year in a shell. So, what are you reading?

Jo

4 comments:

Amber said...

I love Ralph S. Mouse! So glad you're sharing the Beverly Cleary books with your students. I'm currently reading "Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America" by Eric Larson.

Kimberly said...

Love the books you're reading w/your kidds...what a great teacher...I'm a big Cleary fan!

my reading sample:

-just starting "The Shack"
-almost finished with "Beyond Smells and Bells" (Mark Galli)
-just finished rereading "The Ladies Auxilory" (Tova Mirvis) (fiction but some interesting truths)
-also started rereading Max Lucado's "And the Angels were Silent" around Easter..

(on "singles" issues I HIGHLY recommend "Real Sex" by Lauren Winner...for that matter, all of her books are great.)

sorry for the long comment:)isn't reading GOOD...

Kelli said...

Oh, thanks for sharing Jo. I know you're an avid reader and you definately have some that I'd like to read on my own list, just trying to find the time. =)

Making Memories 1999 said...

Sunshine Girl is reading "Stuart Little" for school, and is doing a "lapbook" to go along with it! ;D

Thanks so much for sharing your reading list! Trust you have a great week, friend!