Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Sharing Him!

I have been turning the idea of evangelism over carefully in my mind. How can I help share Jesus with a lost and dying world?

Christians, equipped with the given guideline or manual, embark upon the large task of sharing the Gospel with others. Recently, during a visit with a relative, I observed the interactions between a fellow believer and non-Christians. Rather than kind words or deeds, a haphazard, “God loves you!” was tossed to the hungry souls. Although I am certain that this dear believer was sincere, I struggled with this approach. I remember my college days at my alma mater, Greenville College. We did not have an evangelism specific class, but during resident assistant training, we were encouraged to share Jesus with others. After loading ourselves into a school van, we drove to St. Louis, MO. There, at Union Station, we burst from the vehicle, plan in our pockets, eager to share with others. Our task included locating some dear soul in the mall and having a conversation with him/her. It was a rather scripted conversation leading to the person’s goals in life and potential prayer. Please understand I am not trying to say that this type of method never works; however, in a recent viewing of a helpful video series produced by Dr. Dobson I found an interesting analogy.

Imagine that one of my girlfriends and I were at a gathering of some sort. We were close friends and I had met a young man at this gathering. Immediately I thought that the two would be a great match. I asked my friend to walk over and meet the young man. The conversation might go like this, “Sally, I’d like for you to meet Bob. Bob, this is Sally. Do you guys want to get married?” Wait a minute! This would never work!

When we ask people to simply pray and make the profession of faith, in essence we may be doing the same thing. There are definitely times of harvest when souls are ready to repent and receive, but there are also many stages in the process.

In my younger days I wanted to win souls for Christ, but frankly it scared me to death. Privately, with those that I knew closely, it was easy, but going up to a perfect stranger. Unthinkable! However, overcoming some of those obstacles, I went on two missions trips to both China and the Philippines. Both trips were wonderful and I came home a changed woman. Upon self reflection, I realized that rather than me helping the people of these countries, Joana’s heart was changed.

So, that leads me to the present. I must say, the daily grind is not nearly as exciting as a mission’s trip or full time ministry. No, sometimes it is difficult to treat my colleagues with love and patience, but I think that this is where my true mission field is. When day in and day out relationships are built and they see reactions to every circumstance, their hearts can slowly be plowed, molded, planted (repeatedly), and someday harvest will come.

I’d love to hear your thoughts about this. I have more to say, but the time has come to ‘hit the hay.’
Jo

10 comments:

Making Memories 1999 said...

Dear friend, I think you "hit the nail on the head" in your next-to-the-last paragraph!! You're right, that's were relationships are built, and they are able to see Jesus in you!!

Recently I again heard the song, "Will you love Jesus more, when we go our different ways?". It made me think about how I impact others. I want to portray Jesus well!!

Hope you are having a good week! Be safe and take care, friend!!

kayla said...

I'm actually home between sessions from a retreat at church. The title is "How to be an Active Christian in Today's Society". I am gaining a lot of new insights on this whole evangelism thing. We talked alot last night and this morning about pre-evangelism in a society where relativism is so prevalent.
This post reminds me of an article by Philip Yancey that Harold brought up on the differences between courting a divorcee vs. a virgin. The Western world has divorced itself from truth and we have to evangelize them accordingly. A virgin will simply believe their lovers words of affection where love must be proven to a divorcee. My mind is busy wrapping itself around this stuff so I'm sure I will have a lot more to say later. Stay tuned.

lauralavon said...

I am so on the same page, Jo. It seems people rarely make a decision to trust and follow after Christ just because someone tells them they need to.
They have to really see their need. In our society, "rich and increased with goods..." as it is, getting them to see their need is not an easy thing, to say the least. Thanks for your thought-provoking post.

Jo said...

Kayla,
I wish I were there with you! It sounds very interesting. Do you know where I could find the article that you mentioned?

Laura,
I'd love to be in on a discussion about this with our friends at church! :) Last Sunday night Curt mentioned a quote. I wish that I could remember it exactly. In essence, he seemed to be saying when we draw people with emotionalism, they become disheartened when the realization of heartache and monotany set in. Instead it seems that if we are drawing with relationship, we are then setting the groundwork for a relationship with Jesus. This definately takes more from us!

Rachel Hurst said...

Jo Bear,

You my friend/sister/ect. are an amazing young lady. You know it may seem like missions people and people in full time ministry are doing something different then you are. Don't let 'em fool ya! As Christians we should all be building relationships with those around us. The title of our ocupation should have little to do with our approach to reaching the lost!
Hoo-ray for the message of Jesus. It is very winning! I have no doubt in my mind that you my dear sweet sweet girl are having a wonderful impact on those you work with.
Thank you for your thoughts. I love you for ever!

kayla said...

I put a copy of that article on my blog.

coffeechica said...

hey friend! i finally just saw ur 'new' post. :) it is so good! thank you for that reminder! miss and love you so much! will i see you at YC?? ttys!

lauralavon said...

Yes, Jo...I think you had the essence of the quote from Curt. It was "what you win people with is what you win them to."

Julia said...

Jo;

So glad you wrote this post. After reading Kayla's post on Evangelism I wanted to write something, but didn't have time to pull together my thougts. You did it for me in this post. As Rachie said, there is so much pressure with a title that those of us who are not entitled "ministers" can forget we that is just what we are called to be everyday. I think our flesh tends toward the instant gratification of filling pews and having "witness" stories. It's just plain hard work to invest your life in a everyday relationship, but I think that is the most effective way to see real change in a life for Christ.

Kimberly said...

Up late...and just seeing your post tonight:)

While not necesarily worried about "numbers" of people, I am challenged to be more concerned about lost souls around me...that is the truth, I believe...that they are lost and Jesus is the answer! It can be overwhelming...and I think that various methods are useful at different times and places. I'm grateful that our "mission" is most of all to be like Him and let Him use us wherever we are...and I am 100% sure you are striving to do that!! (If you make YC, I will be sad to not be there w/ya!!)