Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Another Day on the Path

Yes, the time in my classroom is currently 9:35p.m. You heard correctly, I'm still here. I ran home for a quick supper tonight and came back to prepare for another day in First grade. The smell of little bodies that have been playing outside in the final, hot days of summer lingers here. I like being here at night. Bulletin boards look brighter in contrast with the dark night sky peeking in the window.

Sometimes the end of the day comes to a sudden and abrubt stop. Today was one of those days. We're trying something new with discipline. My plan had been in place for some time, but changes were necessary to comply with a new plan for a school-wide discipline program. This resulted in several changes in the way I handle the class. So, by the end of the day our freight train of new learning coupled with the challenges of a new program came to an abrupt end as the 3:05p.m. bell rang.

At the end of the day my feet were requesting a brief hiatus, my head was aching a bit and a faculty meeting was calling for my prescence.

Please don't misunderstand, I love what I do. Teaching, I'm afraid, is closely connected to parenting and there are some days that require more of me than others. I have the wonderful joy of having 19 boys and girls for approx. 6 hours each day. It is truly a blessing!

Well, there you have it, a glimpse into my life for today. Thank you for posting about your lives. It is good to look over at you, fellow traveler, on this pathway and give a little wave. It's closer.....I can almost see it.....One day we'll be home....Rest for our bones....Fellowship beyond compare!!!

7 comments:

coffeechica said...

aww hey girl! good to hear ur surviving lol. can't wait to see you this weekend! love ya!

Kimberly said...

Good to see ya, my dear..Always enjoy your thoughts..and so respect who you are and what you do!!!

Julia said...

Jo;

What a blessing you are to those little ones. I think you're right, your job is a lot like parenting, except you have a lot more than most of us and you have to comply with a "school wide" approach to discipline. Must be tough, since I'm sure what you already had established worked well in your classroom. Alas, you are taking it with such a sweet spirit, as always.
I'm waving can you see me?

Anonymous said...

Yes, a hearty wave here as well! I do pray God's blessing on you as you mold little lives. Sorry I missed seeing you this weekend. I was looking forward to a long chat. :(

Rachel Hurst said...

Hoo-ray for my sista'! I love you gal!

Kelli said...

I remember the days my beloved friend! There's never enough energy, but somehow the day gets done and God will bless you my friend. Love you.

Making Memories 1999 said...

Thank you for showing Jesus to that classroom of first graders!!!! God bless ya, friend!!