Tuesday, May 13, 2008

BDB vs. ADB

Yes, friends, as my brother stated on the phone last night, my life has been redefined. Now and forever more I will refer to my life as the period before the dog bite and the period after this fateful time.

I, in an effort to get on the healthy side of life, ventured out into the beautiful outdoors last evening for a peaceful bike ride. I have traveled this certain route many times and felt fairly confident in attempting the 8 mile route alone. Thankfully my sister and I had been talking and I tucked the trusty cell phone into my pocket.

Traveling along at a comfortable clip I enjoyed the beauty of nature. The graceful fluid movements of the deer, the peaceful vivid green of new leaves, the smell of freshly plowed dirt, …the barking of dogs…

I rounded the turn at about mile six and saw two dogs racing toward me. Well, if you know me very well at all you will know that I am not a great lover of doggies. My small portion of ‘dog love’ depletes when they are coming at me at full speed. The world suddenly began to move slower. The larger dog, who was approximately the height of my bike came closer and closer. He first bit at my heal and then grabbed a good, strong bite on my leg. Thankfully a motorcycle came along and I had a brief second to get away. I yelled at the dear, possessed doggie and he backed off.

I called nearly every person I knew and no one was home. Finally, after contacting my brother in Cincinnati, I called my aunt. She picked me up about a mile from the scene of the crime.

After a visit to my doctor today, I began taking the antibiotic that he prescribed. My tetanus shot is up to date and I found that the dog also has his shots. So, I don’t think I’ll be foaming at the mouth any time soon.

Well, one of my greatest fears has been played out in my life and I have survived! But, to all of the lovers of pooches out there, I must say that I will not be having a canine pet any time soon.

Woof, woof!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am truly sorry for your harrowing experience. I can only imagine that it was extremely traumatizing. Honestly, I can't imagine. To be perfectly honest, however, the little imp inside me is seeing a silent movie of you yelling at the dog as the motorcycle passed, and it's pretty funny. I am really glad you're OK, the dog had his shots, your tetanus was up to date, and you got some antibiotics to keep you healthy - all very good things. Hope you recover soon - in every way. :) Love ya!

Jo said...

Many, many giggles have come from this experience! Yeah, I agree...it was funny! (Not at the time of course.)

My siblings have taken to singing dog songs such as... Who let the dogs out? ....when the dog bites - and many others. :)

lauralavon said...

Oh! Jo! I am horrified at the thought of how it must have felt when they were coming at you and then when the bit! I am SO thankful you're OK! I think I would have fainted--dead on the spot--and the doggies would have made lunch of me(or supper or midnight snack...whenever it was!)
I have such a fear of dogs that I can't laugh if I try! I'm glad you can, and Rach, and Luc, and Son,... I am smiling now though.

Rachel Hurst said...

Jo,
Tee-hee! Ho! Ho! Ho! I am still "howling" with laughter. I know that it was aweful. I am so glad that you are working through your issues! Much puppy love to you! Only 10 days! Three Cheers! Love You! Woof! Woof!

Kelli said...

Aw Jo! I have also been bitten by a dog (by a pit bull in my face) and it's a life-changing event. You suddenly have a new found respect for animals. I'm sorry those mean dogs decided to pick on you. Glad you're okay.

Kelli said...

Aw Jo! I have also been bitten by a dog (by a pit bull in my face) and it's a life-changing event. You suddenly have a new found respect for animals. I'm sorry those mean dogs decided to pick on you. Glad you're okay.

Making Memories 1999 said...

NOT FUN!! So glad you are ok!! I will have to say, your sis and bro are doing a great job of seeing the "silver lining" in this cloud, eh?! :-) Have a better day, friend!!

Julia said...

Sorry, JO! Terrible, really, wretched, hair raising...oh sorry..I mean that was just doggone terrible....oops, I mean I bet you were dog-tired...grr, oops sorry, well, I mean, oh never mind. So glad you are safe. Perhaps in the future you should consider bicycling with spurs on.