Thursday, May 1, 2008

Choices

As usual, thoughts have been swirling through my mind. The recent topic has been choices. We are confronted with so many choices each day. As an educator, I find that within a period of 1 minute it is possible to make many choices. Do I discipline that issue? No, I must pick my battles. Do I explain the concept as presented here? No, I must find a new way; they will not understand this approach. Should I hug this young one? Yes, it may be the only physical touch they receive today. Do I send her to the office? No, I’ll wait and see if that stomach ache continues.

Choices are my life. The effects of these little choices and my thinking behind these choices can change the direction of my life. I have to be careful. Do I read this book, watch this video, listen to this music? Yes, friends every area of my life requires my choice. I’m definitely not a fan on the sidelines of life watching things pass by. I MUST be directly involved! A while ago I was faced with one of those bigger choices in life. Ultimately, of course, these larger decisions are influenced greatly by the previous little choices. When I came to the fork, I sought the wise counsel of others. Yes, it was conflicting and confusing. I put on my super future spy glass and caught a glimpse of what was to come.

Down road number 1 was a life of adventure. Beautiful flowers lined this road. Laugher rang through the tree tops. The chance to live with my dear sister and act like silly school girls beckoned there. Meeting new people and teaching in a Christian environment call to me. The pull was so great that I took a step down road number 1. Glancing over my shoulder I saw the rocky terrain of road number 2. I looked down at my sandals and realized I was not prepared for that path. I saw hard work and dedication as well as commitment. I even caught a glimpse of how bruised and battered my feet would be. I might even fall, causing the flesh to be torn from my knees.

I sat down for a long chat with my Heavenly Daddy. I realized that I could, after picking up my eyes off of the rocky terrain, catch a glimpse of His face on road number 2. Please understand, I don’t think that road number 1 was awful; however, I made the choice to pursue my relationship with Him by traveling down road number 2.

Well, friend, the road has been just as it seemed it would be. Large, sharp, cutting rocks have been on the trail. Yes, my shoes were not adequate for the journey. I have been cut, bruised and my very soul has been pierced. Layers of flesh are slowly, painfully being shed as a find my path. The rocks of frustration, hard work, commitment, assertiveness, and others are helping to shed my yucky exterior. But, friend, through it all I have had the firm grip of my Daddy holding my hand. He’s patient and kind. He heals wounds with his words of love. He continually calls me to pursue a deeper relationship with Him.

As I stood last night I realized that a destination point along this road had been reached and I couldn’t have made it without the faithfulness of my Heavenly Father. Thank you dear friends, some of you were those that reached out to steady me along the way. The road isn’t finished. I’ll keep journeying for my entire life. My choice is not to quit.

“But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD." Joshua 24:15

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My heart says, "Oh, yes!" Thanks for the beautiful picture, and how true your words are. Blessings to you, my friend.

coffeechica said...

This is such an awesome description and good writing! Keep plugging away! You are an example to me, Thanks!! I love you, friend!

Kimberly said...

Both applauding and empathizing/hurting with you, my sweet friend! When can I borrow your super future spy glass?

lauralavon said...

Love ya, Jo! My kiddos are certainly watching your life, learning some wonderful lessons from you! Appreciate you so much.

Rachel Hurst said...

Dearest sister, very lovely. You are a true brave heart. I love you for it. I am glad that you can see the "flower lined path" down here even after all of our converstions. I thank you for following our heavenly Daddy. That is my wish that you follow Him for all of your days as you truly are an influnce on so many young lives.
I trust that your buised and torn flesh heals soon. Not only a healing that last for the moment but, a healing that will be to your advantage! As they say no gain without pain. Thank you for a don't quit attitude! I love ya forever. Hang in there!

Julia said...

Jo;

This post brought tears to my eyes. It is so good to walk with Him no matter what the path isn't it? As an onlooker I see your wise choices making you a more beautiful person everyday, more like the Daddy whose hand you are holding. You are in my prayers friend. Love ya.

Making Memories 1999 said...

So thankful that your heart desires to follow HIM! You are an inspiration, my friend!! Please be encouraged. We love you!!