Saturday, August 29, 2009

Thinking, Reading and Spending Time Alone

There are many things that I enjoy about the amount of time that I’ve spent alone recently. I’ve been able to catch up on some reading. Last Sunday I listened to a Ravi Zacharias’ book entitled "The Grade Weaver." Although there was a bit too much room left for a lack of choice on human shoulders, I found it to be encouraging and rather invigorating! God has a vested interest in our lives, in making sure that we are following after Him. He is patient and diligent in shaping us into His image. It has been my experience that this process is somewhat painful and taxing, yet when I realize the purpose, (His best interest.) my mind focuses on how I can respond to my surroundings to make the best growth in my relationship with God.

Yesterday I received a temporary library card. There is a small/cute library here in Hobe Sound. I found two more books on CD that I have been enjoying. In my car, I’m listening to Max Lucado’s "It’s Not all About Me." This is simply a good reminder to me that God is definitely in the center. I like the example of the sun being the center of the solar system. This book is rather simple, yet I’m enjoying it.

I also got John Eldredge’s book "Waking the Dead." This one is rather interesting and I have definitely found some things that I disagree with, but it is interesting as well. I wish some of you were closer so that we could chat about it. (If you are close and would like to chat….Just give me a call! J)

Another happy book that I picked up was A.W. Tozer’s "The Pursuit of God." This one is a little meatier. It has been absolutely wonderful so far. I’ll have to post some quotes later. Very encouraging!

The last little book that I got with my 5 book limit for a temporary card was "The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle" written by Avi. I read this book repeatedly as a pre-teen. I couldn’t remember all of the intricacies of the story, so I thought I’d try it again. I’m interested to find what was so intriguing to me when I was that age. I’ll have to post later and let you know. It may have impacted me more than I realize.

Well, I said that this is what I’m enjoying about being alone. I haven’t mentioned what I don’t enjoy. That list might be a little too long and depressing. I’m thankful for times of thinking, though and times of being alone.

Jo

5 comments:

lauralavon said...

So nice to read your update this afternoon, Jo. Missed you today at church, at lunch, and yesterday at Jo Sipper's.
Thanks for the book "reviews."

Kimberly said...

another benefit of this transitional time is that you are blogging more:)...enjoyed this post! wishing you a blessed schoolyear.

Kelli said...

LOVE True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle! I used that as one of my readers when I taught English. I have a huge mural that I traced and made of the boat, so if you ever want to teach it, I'll let you borrow it. =)

It was SO good to talk to you last night.

Making Memories 1999 said...

I've borrowed the Max Lucado book "It's not about me" as well. Looking forward to reading it.

Alanna said...

Hi Jo! I'm glad you've been into some good books. Have you read A. W. Tozer's The Knowledge of the Holy? It's such a great book. I think I about highlighted it to death! :) I guess for now my books of choice are going to be textbooks...oh well! :) Have a great weekend! :)